Rachel is an associate attorney of Hoover Kacyon, LLC, first joining the prior-named firm of Joseph Kacyon & Associates in 2015. Rachel focuses her practice on family law, probate law and personal injury. She is an experienced court-room litigator.
Rachel Smick graduated from Saddleback College in May 2008 with an Associate of the Arts Degree, Cum Laude, in Liberal Studies. She graduated from California State University Dominguez Hills with a Bachelor of Arts Degree, Summa Cum Laude, with Honors, in English Literature, in May 2011. In 2015, Ms. Smick received her Juris Doctor from the University of Akron School of Law.
While at Akron Law, Ms. Smick was a member of the school’s nationallyranked Trial Advocacy Team, where she was recognized for her trial advocacy skills. Ms. Smick continues to volunteer her time coaching for Akron Law School’s Trial Advocacy Team, and also volunteers her time teaching for Akron Law School’s Trial Academy.
Prior to joining Hoover Kacyon, LLC., Ms. Smick gained valuable legal experience working as a paralegal for various personal injury firms for nearly nine years prior to law school. During law school she gained additional legal experience working as an intern for Judge Thomas Teodosio, aiding in foreclosure and eviction defense for Community Legal Aid in Akron, assisting General Counsel and the Manager of Contract Administration/Risk Management for Summit County Children Services, and honed her skills as a trial attorney while she worked as a Certified-Intern in the Summit County Prosecutor’s Office, Juvenile Court, delinquency division.
- CALI Award in Constitutional Law II, Trial Advocacy I and II, and Expert Evidence
- Selected to compete as an advocate in the American College of Trial Lawyers National Trial Competition, Spring 2015; National Institute for Trial Advocacy Tournament of Champions, Fall 2014; Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County, PA, Gourley Mock Trial Competition, Spring 2014; Michigan State University National Trial Advocacy Competition, Fall 2013
- Trial Team Honor Society Vice President, 20142015
- Akron School of Law Intramural Mock Trial Competition: Finalist 2014, Champion 2015
- 2015 J.D., University of Akron School of Law
- 2015 Certification in Litigation, Trial Advocacy and Dispute Resolution, University of Akron School of Law
- 2011 B.A., California State University Dominguez Hills
- 2008 A.A., Saddleback College