Car accidents can happen to anyone at any time. In Ohio, over 38,000 motor vehicle crashes have been investigated this year. The aftermath of an accident can start to get expensive. You may have been charged with a criminal offense, and you need to pay fines or hire an attorney. Likely there will be vehicle repair bills to fix the damage to your vehicle, and you may need to rent a new vehicle while yours is being repaired. You may have sustained injuries resulting in medical bills or lost days at work. Insurance claims may take months to settle. In some cases, the at-fault driver may not even have insurance. Many people may not be financially able to bear the burden of these kinds of unexpected expenses.
While it is not a guarantee, the surest way to avoid a costly vehicle accident scenario is to drive safely. Here is a list of common car accidents and tips for how to avoid them:
1. Rear-end collisions
- Maintain proper distance.
- Avoid distracted driving.
- Don’t drive when you are impaired, such as under the influence or when drowsy.
2. Parked car accidents
- Avoid parking in high traffic areas.
- Park in the center of a designated parking spot.
- Use parking garages when possible.
3. Single vehicle accidents
- Drive at proper speeds for road and weather conditions.
- Keep your eyes on the road.
- Don’t drive when you are impaired.
4. Windshield damage
- Maintain proper distance from vehicles in front of you, especially snowplows.
5. Intersection accidents
- Avoid distracted driving
- When you have the green light, check the intersection before proceeding through
6. Vehicle Theft
- Avoid leaving valuables in your vehicle
- Park in well-lit locations
7. Backing collisions
- Avoid parking situations that force you to back out
- Be extra mindful of surroundings when backing up, check your mirrors often
- Invest in a backup camera
Even the safest drivers can be in accidents. If you have been charged with a crime in a vehicle accident or if you have sustained injuries from a vehicle accident, contact the attorneys at Hoover Kacyon, LLC. We are dedicated to supporting our clients. We deliver the highest quality legal representation from a team of injury professionals while also providing excellent customer service.
Call us at 330-922-4491 or contact us online so to schedule you for an initial consultation.